Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The meat of the matter

Ok, time to put at least a little substance in to this thing before I start sending out the link to everybody. It's a quickie, but I've been saving this one since my first day of work.

You know I was going to refrain from mentioning my place of employment in this blog, but I think it might not be as effective that way, so I'm going to have to go ahead and say that I'm working for Microsoft. Post number 3. Guess that policy didn't last very long. So I'm at my first day at Microsoft, attending the new employee orientation that all new employees attend to get oriented. Apt name, huh? There are like 170ish other people there (and they do this every week) because MS is huge and they are growing pretty darn fast. According to HR, as of sometime last year roughly 19% of the company had been hired within the past year. Crazy. Anyway, they let us out for our first break. I headed to the restrooms since we'd been sitting for a while. Strangely enough, a number of other people had the same idea I did and by the time I got there a line had formed that ran out of the bathroom door and down the hallway a bit. So I got in line to wait. I couldn't help but notice though, that when I looked over to the left at the women's room there was no line at all. A few women were walking in and out of the door.

Oh the software business.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, how you must respect the irony that is life. Being in the Healthcare field, we primarily have Unisex bathrooms -- which is a blessing and a curse. A blessing: because since women use the same bathroom, it tends to be 100x cleaner than your average 'men only' restroom. A curse: because everyone uses the same rooms, occasionally you have to hunt for an empty room.

Hope you're enjoying yourself out West. My cell phone number will be changing in the next few days. I will keep you posted. And send me some pics of your new place!! :)